Tuesday, July 12, 2011

INBio Park

INBio park is part zoo, part research station.  It's a very nice park, with some exhibits, but very few cages.  Many of the animals roam the park freely, such as iguanas and birds.  They have several stations where you can see snakes, insects, and fish.  I got some really great photos of some of the animals here.

I may have to turn in my man card by saying this, but my favorite place here was the butterfly garden.  It was this big garden enclosed with a net, and hundreds of butterflies were landing on the flowers and the people.  It was really neat to watch.

The park does collections of species of insects, fungi and plants or amphibians (I can't remember which) found throughout Costa Rica.  They catalog them and make display cases for various organizations and even have an on-line database that I linked in an earlier post.  They do some amazing work.  They have a three fold mission: education of the Costa Rican public, research of Costa Rican species, and preservation of natural habitat.

Probably the funniest moment in the entire trip was the turtle shells.  Pam, Breana, Trevor and I found these fake turtle shells on the ground, basically props that kids can put on and look like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I only have a few pictures, but it will get the picture across as to how absolutely ridiculous it looked.  Hopefully I'll get some more from the other three.

No comments:

Post a Comment