Sunday, July 3, 2011

The ICLC Institute - Updated!

Had the most amazing trip today with a group of students, but I don't have a way to upload pictures at the moment so that story will have to wait.

Instead, I'll take a moment to describe the ICLC institute where we're learning Spanish.  If you remember the old TV show "Fantasy Island", that's what it makes me think of.  I've posted some pictures of the place here and here.  It's like a garden with a classroom inside it.  Many of the classrooms are out in the open, some in hammocks.  They have a little auditorium for audio video presentations beneath the computer room where there's Internet access.  A little cafe serves lunch and drinks all day.  There's even a library with lots of Spanish language aides.

The instructors here are very nice and very helpful.  I am in the absolute lowest level of Spanish (SO glad I took those 2 years back in high school...), but our instructor is super patient and helpful.  She's funny too, and let's the class somewhat direct what we learn about, even if it's about underwear (funny story).

The garden is beautiful.  I've taken several pictures and uploaded them, so be sure to check them out.  As for wildlife, I saw an iguana about a foot long not including tail, but I didn't have my camera on me that day.  Still pretty cool.  Leaf cutter ants are everywhere, like little green sailboats sailing across the paths of the campus.

I forgot to mention that, here at the institute, they are not supposed to speak to you in English at all.  There's a little orientation in English at the beginning, but after that, it's all Spanish baby.  Since I'm in the beginning Spanish class, our teachers do speak a little English when we are totally lost.  But ordering lunch, buying Internet time, or phone cards, it's all Spanish baby.  It's a bit overwhelming when you're sitting in class and the teacher rattles off something in Spanish and then looks at you to respond, and you realize that there was a question in there somewhere, but you have no idea what the question was.  But the instructors know that a lot of students are beginners, and they go slow when they need to, and are very understanding.  But it is definitely total immursion.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment